Saturday, January 7, 2012

Practicing Landscape Photography

Universiti Teknologi Malaysia, Skudai. 

I've always been inspired with photos of beautiful landscapes captured by various professional photographers. I really wanted to try out on how to capture such image. Their pictures are absolutely stunning. So I thought, I'd go out and try shoot some landscapes myself. I also brought along my trusted Digital Camera Magazine with me. DCM is absolutely useful. It provides tips that are easy to understand. I brought the 70th issue which had information about how to shoot landscapes.

The things that I learned for landscape photography was that - based on what I read:
  1. It needs careful planning, preparation and patience - find suitable location, do some weather forecasting, wait for the right amount of surrounding light.
  2.  Use a Wide-Angle Lens - helps to get more view into frame.
  3.  Use the Rule of Thirds.
  4.  Locate a foreground interest.
  5.  Use a steady tripod
  6.  Balance the exposure - using the Graduated Natural Density filters.
  7.  Use a narrow aperture and low ISO setting.
So, at the time I was capturing these landscape shots, I simultaneously referred to DCM. Reading them is easy and can be understood well, but putting them into practice, it was kinda difficult for me as I have no experience. It would be wonderful if I had a guru beside me teaching everything about landscape photography.

So I tried to apply what I've learned. But I have to admit, it didn't turned out well.
  • I have a tripod, but didn't use it because it's not even stable - it sucks & cheapo (got it for free with the D7k). So I used my steady hands instead.
  • I don't have UWA lens but I'm planning to buy one - in the near future, so I used my kit lens 18-105mm instead. 
  • I lacked in planning, preparing and being patience as I intended to get wonderful pictures first shot - well that proved my impatience-ness. haha. 
  • I had no GND filters, so the skies were over exposed / foreground underexposed. 
  • I lacked in finding a good foreground - so all pictures are quite dull (duh...).
  • I lacked in following the rule of thirds.
  • I handled the ISO and the aperture pretty well - I think?
That's basically it though. Much improvements I have to make. So, here are the photos I captured. ^^,


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...